Saturday 14 July 2012

Butterfly Canvas

Hello all,

hope you are all well. Ha ha, went into shock today myself as a strange bright orange thing appeared in the sky!! Long overdue and really lifted the spirits, here's hoping we will see more of it over the school holidays hey!

Today I decided to challenge myself and leave the comfort zone that my altered book adventure is becoming. I usually automatically reach for bright primary colours when I am crafting so thought it was about time to throw in some pastels ha ha.

I wanted to have a go at a small canvas to enter in the current Tando challenge, which for the month of July asks for texture...........


I started by painting the canvas pink, this has then been edged using memento rhubarb stalk and grape jelly for some definition. The flower was on a free stencil set which came with the latest issue of Crafts Beautiful. I sponged some sea breeze green acrylic through the leaf part and some bubble-gum pink dylusions through the petal part. I then doodled round the flower using sakura glaze pens. To ground the flower I decided to do a bit more doodling along the bottom of the canvas. The sentiment is just something that popped into my head lol.
To create some texture I decided to focus on the fab Tando mini butterfly's, these were gessoed then given a base coat of red acrylic. Purple Viva Decor croco crackling paint was then applied. Lol the last time I used it I put too little on and it didn't crackle properly, I got it right this time, whoop whoop - it crackled beautifully.
I wanted to highlight the bodies on the butterfly's so I very sneakily pinched some of my daughters glitter glue, ssshhhhhhh!! OOhh, and some of her sticky gems!! Hey ho, she keeps pinching my craft stash ha ha.

If you fancy taking part too please pop on over here

Thanks for taking the time to pop by,

Hugs x x x x

7 comments:

cbee said...

great! ... love the butterflies :)

Karen said...

oooo your butterflies look gorgeous hon. Thank you for taking part in our challenge over at Tando this month and good luck with the draw :D xxx

Dana Tatar said...

Beautiful canvas! I love your doodles. Thanks for sharing your work for the Tando Challenge! =)

Gez Butterworth said...

Amazing canvas Dawn. I'd like to know who's got the canvas!!! Thank you for joining the Tando Creative challenge this month. Gez.

Carol Plume said...

Dawn what a lovely canvas - loving your butterflies...they are my fav's at the moment.xx

CraftyTeacher said...

we have a standing joke on the ITC DT team that if we make a mistake we stick a butterfly over it, but I can see here there was definitely no mistake! A lovely design!

Katherine said...

Super canvas Dawn...love the butterflies - congratulations :)